Monday, May 4, 2009

Happy Star Wars Day!

Photobucket

So, what are you doing to celebrate? I am making it a six day celebration by watching each episode, one per night. Oh and I will play me some Star Wars Lego and Force Unleashed.

OK, I may mash Episode One and Two into one evening by skipping the awful parts (ie. the non-fighting parts and parts that don't include Obi Wan). I mean, what was Lucas thinking?

Leia "I love you."
Han "I know."
CLASSIC! Perfect geeky love story. Compare it to the "love" story of Anakin and Padme:

Anakin: If you are suffering as much as I am, please tell me.
Padme: I can't... We can't... It's not possible.
Anakin: Anything is possible, Padme, listen to me.
Padme: No you listen! We live in a real world, come back to it. You're studying to become a Jedi, I'm... I'm a senator. If you follow your thoughts through to conclusion, it will take us to a place we cannot go, regardless of the way we feel about each other.
Anakin: Then you do feel something!
Padme: I will not let you give up your future for me.
Anakin: You're asking me to be rational. That is something that I know I cannot do. Believe me, I wish I could just wish away my feelings, but I can't.

Awful! "I wish I could just wish my away my feelings"? That made it past the editing process? (But then he does force choke her in Episode 3 and the Emperor tells Vader/Anakin he killed Padme. That almost makes up for it. Almost.)

Here is my theory. Actually, I have two theories. First one is that Lucas was drunk when filming and editing. The second one is that he surrounded himself with yes men who were afraid to tell him that the dialogue and acting left much to be desired. "Perfect Mr. Lucas. Boy, you sure are the best film maker of all time! I am so lucky to be working with you." Either way, it is evident that Lucas' time has past and perhaps it's time to hand the lightsaber over to someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment