Thursday, May 27, 2010

Buy Nothing Christmas

Yep, it's May and I'm talking Christmas. Crazy!

This year my family has decided to do a modified Buy Nothing Christmas. It's only May and already I feel less stressed about the holiday season this year.  I think that this whole idea has made me plan and think about what exactly I am going to do this year and that has helped me a lot. 

Like I said before, we are doing a modified version because the kids are each going to draw names for who to buy for.  They're making each other gifts but only buying for one.  That right there cuts down my Christmas budget by over half.  I don't like the idea of each of the girls only giving a present to one of her sisters and so they are to make something for all three of their sisters and buy for only one.  They are actually more excited about the idea of making presents than they are about going out and buying something.

Another way we have modified the idea of Buy Nothing Christmas is that we do actually have to buy the materials to make the presents. I have heard of some people doing this with just what they have on hand or what they find and reclaim.  We're not going to do that.  Here is what the girls have come up with, so far, to give each other.

Lilly is making books for everyone.  She is doing a comic for Madeleine staring the Rock Sisters (which are named variations of Lilly, Madeleine, Victoria and Rosemary) and P!NK (who is currently Madeleine's favourite singer).  Her and I are using the digital scrap book kits I have bought and making Victoria an Eye Spy book because Victoria loves those books.  She is making Rosemary a What Do You See book.  She will draw a picture (Lilly is an incredible artist) and ask things like "how many red balls do you see".

Madeleine is making Victoria and Rosemary felt boards.  Rosemary's will be of Peep and the Big Wide World and Victoria's is going to be all cats, her favourite animal.  She is going with my sister in law to a jewelry making session and is going to make Lilly some jewelry.

Victoria is "making" everyone aprons.  She has picked out the materials for everyone and I am doing the sewing.

Rosemary is "making" everyone stuffed animals of their favourite animal.  We will be going to get the materials for that as soon as I find all of the patterns.

The kids will love all of that!  I can't wait for them to open their presents and it's only May!

For our part, Kevin and I are buying one gift for each kid and making one.  Lilly and Madeleine are both getting used IPods, Victoria is getting used Lego and we're not quite sure about Rosemary yet but it will be something used.  We (and by we I mean me) are making Lilly and Madeleine quilts and Victoria and Rosemary are getting outfits - Rosemary's with a knitted vest and Victoria's with a crocheted hat.  Victoria is also getting an apron.

I wrote all of that out to show anyone who reads this (hi Kevin!) that it's not hard or depriving your kids to buy less and give less.  In fact, it's easier and it involves the kids more in the actual making of the gift.

Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment